In spite of pervasive spammers, permission email marketing remains one of todays most powerful and effective advertising mediums.
Because it's targeted. Focused. Personalized. Customized. Accountable. Quickly implemented. And, cost effective.
It's the opposite of the old "mass marketing" mentality - the mentality that "spams" the world or sends "junk mail" to everyone in the city. All in hopes of finding a few interested takers.
Why it works
Permission emailing works because it embraces todays marketing paradigm. It's based upon trust and personal preferences. Because permission emailing is customer-centric, it puts the customer in control.
Permission email marketing safeguards the recipient's rights by requiring that they confirm their interest in receiving email before they are sent any messages. They must intentionally agree to receive communication by signing up and then re-confirm their intent, referred to as "double opt-in". Additionally, the recipient may unsubscribe at any time and all email messages are clearly identified as coming from the approved sender.
It's effective because the medium of the internet is really about persuasion - and persuasion is based on permission. It's easier to sell products and services to people who have given permission. And most importantly, it's cost effective.
Increasing sales and profits
Profits increase when you make more sales and spend fewer marketing dollars. That's where permission email marketing comes in.
It provides a better return on investment (ROI).
Advantages of permission email over traditional forms of direct marketing:
- Delivers receptive audiences Your offer reaches an audience that has already expressed an interest in the topic of your message. -
- Low cost - Compared to other forms of direct marketing, email marketing is significantly less expensive.
- Fast and efficient - Traditional direct marketing programs can take months to create and implement. Then, you wait another few months to analyze the results in order to determine success. By contrast, permission email marketing campaigns can be executed in days.
- Easy to test, track and evaluate - Email is an ideal testing medium, offering a range of trackable events. Email enables you to test different list sources, combinations of interest categories and creative approaches.
- High response - Typically, a highly targeted opt-in email campaigns results in better response rates than other types of online advertising.
Highly targeted audiences, lower costs and improved response rates all contribute to permission email marketing's outstanding return on investment. But, as in all direct marketing, the secret is in the list...